Considerations in Purchasing Health Insurance
Whether you have individual or group health insurance coverage, it is important to understand what your coverage is and what charges you may be responsible for paying. Read your policy or certificate thoroughly and consider the following:
- What services and supplies are covered?
- What limits are set on the benefits for these services and supplies?
- What are the deductible, coinsurance, and other charges you will be responsible for paying, including amounts billed above the insurer’s allowed amounts (i.e., UCR charges)?
- How are benefit payments coordinated with other health coverage you may have?
- What are the managed care features and requirements of the plan?
- What level, type, and quality of service can be expected from the insurer?