Chapter 15 SLA 09 allocates a portion of the State of Alaska's CIAP funds to the Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development for legislatively-named recipents. The Haines Borough was appropriated $172,219 through this legislation for capital projects. These funds are being administered through the Community Coastal Impact Assistance Program (CCIAP).
Haines Borough is a Home Rule Borough located on the shores of Lynn Canal, between the Chilkoot and Chilkat Rivers, 80 air miles northwest of Juneau, just south of the Canadian border at British Columbia. Haines Borough has a population of 2,310 (2008 DCCED Certified Population), a total area of approximately 2,620 square miles, a coastal area of 15 square miles, and 8 miles of shoreline.
Alaska Natives of the Tlingit culture originally settled the Haines area. The original Native name for Haines was "Dei Shu" by the Tlingit, meaning "end of the trail." The Chilkat Tlingit controlled the trading routes between the coast and the Interior. In 1881, S. Young Hall, a Presbyterian minister, received permission from the Chilkat to build the Willard Mission and School. The mission was renamed Haines in 1884 in honor of Mrs. F.E. Haines. During the Klondike gold rush in the late 1890s, it grew as a mining supply center, since the Dalton Trail from Chilkat Inlet to Whitehorse offered an easier route to the Yukon for prospectors. In 1970, Port Chilkoot merged with Haines into the City of Haines. In 1972, the post was designated a national historic site and the name, Fort William Seward, was restored. The City of Haines and the Haines Borough were consolidated on October 17, 2002, resulting in the establishment of a Home Rule Borough.
As a recipient of CCIAP funds, the Haines Borough has developed projects to be funded through the Borough's CCIAP allocation. The Borough ranked these projects in Tier 1 and Tier 2 project lists to address regional priorities. The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs (DCRA) then sent the proposed project lists to the Department of Natural Resources for inclusion in the 2010 Amendment to the Alaska Coastal Impact Assistance Program (CIAP) Plan. The plan received federal approval, and the State has subsequently applied for and recieved federal awards for all approved projects in the CIAP plan. DCRA is now entering into grant agreements with Named Recipients for each approved CCIAP project.
The borough school district, retail trade, business and transportation services, fishing, and forestry provide the majority of employment in the borough. 109 area residents hold commercial fishing permits. Many jobs are seasonal. Tourism and the traffic Haines draws as a result of its road connection to the state ferry are important. Today, around 45,000 cruise ship passengers visit yearly. The Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve draws visitors from around the world. Haines is a major trans-shipment point because of its ice-free, deep water port and dock, and year-round road access to Canada and Interior Alaska. It is a northern terminus of the Alaska State Ferry System and a hub for transportation to and from southeast Alaska. Haines has a 4,600' airport runway.
The following unincorporated communities are located within the borough: Covenant Life, Haines, Lutak, Mud Bay, and Mosquito Lake.
Tlingit Indians in ceremonial canoes, Haines, Photo: DCCED
Executive Assistant to Borough Manager
Director of Public Facilities
Division of Community and Regional Affairs
Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development