Board of Barbers and Hairdressers

Frequently Asked Questions

What types of professional licenses does the Alaska Board of Barbers and Hairdressers offer?

Barber, Hairdresser, Esthetician, Manicurist, Tattoo/Permanent Cosmetic Colorist, and Body Piercer. We also issue Instructor, Shop Owner, and School licenses.

Can I submit faxed or email copies of my completed application?

No. Documents must have original signatures and notary stamps.

Who do I make my check or money order payable to?

State of Alaska

May I pay by credit card?

Yes, we accept Visa or MasterCard. Credit card information must be provided on our Credit Card Payment form and must be either mailed or faxed with a coversheet detailing what the fees are for.

Can I pay my fees over the phone with a credit card?

No. You must submit the Credit Card Payment form.

How long does it take to process my application?

All applications are processed in date order of receipt. A completed application can be processed in 1-2 weeks. Incomplete applications may take 4-6 weeks to process. Failure to submit required fees will result in an automatic letter requesting required fees before the application is processed.

You can help us process your application more rapidly by making sure you complete the application correctly and submit the correct fees and supporting documents.

How can I find out about the status of my application?

If your application is incomplete you will be notified by mail or email as soon as your application is reviewed. Please allow two to three weeks from the date the application is received for your status letter to reach you.

Can I renew my license over the phone?

No. Renewal applications and fees must be mailed.

What type of license do I need to apply false eyelashes?

You must be either a licensed hairdresser and/or an esthetician.

How do I qualify for a manicurist license?

You must hold an active license in another state and have met our minimum educational requirements, or complete a 12-hour course followed by a written examination in a school licensed in Alaska.

May I simply transfer my out of state license to Alaska?

No, you must submit an application by “waiver of examination” and meet the qualifications.

What is licensure by waiver of examination?

You are eligible for an Alaska license by waiver of examination if you have a current and active license in another state, with the requirements of the other state being equal to or greater than the requirements of the State of Alaska. Alaska requires both written and practical exams and 1650 school hours OR 2000 apprentice hours for barber or hairdresser. Esthetics requires 350 hours of school or apprenticeship training. If you meet these requirements then you are not required to take any exams in Alaska.

If you do not have at least 1650 hours of training in a school or 2000 hours as an apprentice, you can meet the hour requirement for Barbering, Hairdressing, or Esthetics by submitting proof of full time work experience. If you have at least 1500 and no more than 1649 hours you must verify 1 year of full time work experience. If you have 1000 to 1499 hours of training you must verify a minimum of 2 years of full time work experience. Full time work experience is considered a minimum of 32 hours per week.  If you cannot verify work experience, you must make up the hours in a school or apprenticeship program. If you did not take a written and practical test in your state of licensure, you must take the tests in Alaska.

License verifications must be mailed directly to this office from the issuing authority/state board. The license verification must verify the number of hours of training and proof of passing a written and practical exam.

Transcripts must be mailed directly to this office from the school.

I have a license from another country. Would I be able to apply for an Alaska license by waiver of examination?

No. Out of country license holders are not eligible for licensure by waiver of examination. You must qualify and pass the written and practical exams. Transcripts, certificates, etc., must be submitted to a credential evaluation agency for conversion to US equivalency. The board must approve all out of country training.

Can I apply for a temporary permit?

Temporary permits are available for waiver of examination applicants only. A temporary permit is valid for 6 months and can be requested when you submit your application. The fee for the temporary permit is $80.00. You must submit a certified true copy of your current license with your application and all fees to include the Application Fee of $80.00, the initial license fee of $140.00, and the $80.00 Temporary Permit fee. Temporary Permits are not renewable and only one can be issued.

How do I obtain a certified true copy?

To obtain a certified true copy of a document, take the original document and a copy to a notary. The notary will compare the copy to the original. In front of the notary write on the copy, “I certify this to be a true copy of the original document”, sign and date it. The notary will notarize your signature and affix their seal, sign and date the copy.

How do I apply for the examination after I have finished my school or apprenticeship program?

An application for examination must be received in this office (Juneau, Alaska) by the exam deadline. The application includes all of the following:

  • A complete application for licensure
  • The $80.00 application fee and the 35.00 written and 60.00 practical exam fees.
  • Documents verifying that you have completed the required training for the license you are applying for.

Can I apply for a temporary license while I am waiting to take the examination?

Yes, if you are a student awaiting examination. A temporary license is valid for 120 days and can be requested when you submit your application for examination. The fee is $80.00. A Statement of Responsibility form must be submitted and you must be scheduled for an exam. Temporary Licenses are not renewable and only one can be issued.

Can I transfer/use hours of training earned out of state or in state to another school or into an apprentice program?

Yes. For out of state schools; transcripts must be mailed directly to this office for evaluation. For in state schools or apprenticeships; proof of training must be submitted to this office.

Conversion of school hours to apprentice hours (school hours x 1.212):
150 school hours = 181 apprentice hours
50 school hours = 60.60 apprentice hours

Conversion of apprentice hours to school hours (apprentice hours x .825):
50 apprentice hours = 41.25 school hours
150 apprentice hours = 123.75 school hours

If an apprentice OR student has a two (2) year interruption during training (training not completed); the earned hours/practical operations will expire and applicant will need to re-start training.

How do I get my Alaska license and examination information sent to another state board?

You must submit a written request to send verification of your license with the $20 processing fee per license and per mailing. The written request MUST include the state board you would like the verification mailed to and their mailing address. Please note; most state boards will not accept license verifications that are not mailed directly to their office from the issuing authority/state board.