- Do you need to contact a Grant Administrator?
- Visit the Community Funding Database
- For a list of most state and federal capital improvements in a specific community, see the Capital Project Database.
- For information on other state, federal and private grants and technical assistance programs, see the Community Development Resources guide.
Nutritional Alaskan Foods in Schools
The Nutritional Alaskan Foods in Schools is a pilot program meant to encourage every Alaskan school district to purchase nutritious Alaska Grown produce, seafood, or aquatic protein. The Department of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development, Division of Community and Regional Affairs (DCCED, DCRA) will administer the allocation and distribute the money to school districts.
Three million dollars has been appropriated for use in this program in FY13.
- Fifty-three percent (53%) of the funding will be allocated according to the 2011-2012 school year Average Daily Membership of each school district.
- Forty-seven percent (47%) of the funding will be allocated according to the 2011-2012 School District Cost Factor.
The sum of these two amounts equals the total funding available to each school district for reimbursement of purchases under this program. Click here for the list of school districts and the allocation amount.
Each school district is responsible for making its purchases and submitting a reimbursement request and documentation to DCCED, DCRA. The request and documentation will detail the quantity purchased, cost, and proof the products were Alaska Grown or caught/harvested in Alaskan waters. Once approved, reimbursement payments will be paid to the school districts up to the amount of the school district’s allocation. School districts will have until June 30, 2013 to request reimbursement.
Each school district will enter into a grant agreement prior to requesting reimbursement of funds. Click here for a sample grant agreement.
Food items which would qualify for reimbursement under this program are:
- Finfish or shellfish caught or harvested in Alaskan waters
- Livestock raised in Alaska
- Milk produced from livestock in Alaska
- Fruits or vegetables grown in Alaska
- Native produce and berries commercially harvested in Alaska
- Poultry and poultry products grown in Alaska
- Grains harvested in Alaska
Grant Documents And External Resource Links
Signatory Authority Form
Request for Reimbursement Form
Reimbursement Form Instructions
Alaska Seafood Marketing Institute
Alaska Grown Source Book
Resources for School Food Service Professionals
Fiscal Year 2012 Capital Bill Citation
2012 Webinar: Nutritional Alaskan Foods in Schools
Alaska Farm to School Program
Provide us feedback!
For more information, please contact:
Debi Kruse, Grant Administrator III
Division of Community and Regional Affairs
550 W. 7th Ave., Suite 1640
Anchorage, AK 99501
For more information about the pilot project please contact:
State of Alaska DCCED
P.O. Box 110800
Juneau, AK 99811