in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- The village of Shakan has no permanent residents.
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
- CQE Eligible
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Shakan was the summer village of the Henya tribe of Tlingit Indians, who came here for fish eggs. The Shakan post office was established in 1886 and closed in 1936. In 1893 the U.S. Census Bureau reported that the village had a population of 38 and included a sawmill and about 12 houses. In 1938 only one person was reported as living here.
- Shakan Bay is currently uninhabited.
- State Ferry
- Road Connection