in the Valdez-Cordova Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (taz lee' nuh)
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Fisheries Participation and Earnings
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Tazlina is located 5 miles south of Glennallen on the Richardson Highway, at mile 110.5. It is comprised of several small residential subdivisions and a business district. Copperville, Aspen Valley, Tazlina Terrace, and Copper Valley School Road are all part of this area.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
- Tazlina is located in the continental climate zone, with long, cold winters, and relatively warm summers. Temperature extremes range from -74 to 96 °F. Annual snowfall averages 39 inches, with total annual precipitation of 9 inches.
- Max. Daily Precipitation (Inches)
- Total Precipitation (Inches)
- Max. Measured Snow Depth (Inches)
- Total Snowfall (Inches)
- Max. Daily Temperature (°F)
- Min. Daily Temperature (°F)
History and Culture
- The village reportedly was a fishing camp of the Ahtna Indian tribes who historically moved up and down the Copper River and its tributaries. Tazlina is Athabascan for "swift water." By 1900, a permanent village had been established on the north and south banks off the Tazlina River near its confluence with the Copper River. During the pipeline era, Tazlina developed around the old Copper Valley School, built to board students from all over the state. It closed in 1971, when local high schools were constructed in the remote areas of the state and boarding schools were discontinued.
- Two organizations represent Tazlina: the Native Village of Tazlina and the Association of Tazlina Residents.
- Indigenous Language
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Native Village of Tazlina
- Tazlina is located on the Richardson Highway. There is a state-owned gravel airstrip and a seaplane facility at Smokey Lake.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection