Unincorporated, located within Juneau
in the City and Borough of Juneau - CBJ
- Area Type
- Place of Interest
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- Population is counted as part of Juneau.
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permit Holders
- Number of Commercial Fishing Permits Issued
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Thane was named in 1941 after Bartlett L. Thane, general manager of the Alaska Gastineau Mining Co. which had its mill there. The name "Sheep Creek," which was the original miners' name for the town, was published by U.S. Coast and Geodetic Survey in the 1901 Coast Pilot but was later changed to "Thane" by the Board on Geographic Names. The town was founded in 1881 as a result of mining operations in the vicinity. Since World War II the population has declined with the end of mining activity.
- Thane is a residential area just south of and connected by road to Juneau.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection