2nd Class City
in the North Slope Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 DCCED Certified Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- (at' kuh suck); alt. Atkasook
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
Facilities and Amenities
- Municipal Facilities & Utilities
- Bingo/Pull Tabs, Room Rentals, Community Center, Recreation. The North Slope Borough provides the Police, Fire/EMS,Electric, Fuel Station, Landfill, Health Clinic, & Airport.
Geography and Climate
- Atqasuk is located on the Meade River, 60 miles south of Barrow.
- The climate is arctic. The daily minimum temperature drops below freezing 300 days a year. Temperature extremes range from a low of -56 to a high of 78 °F. Precipitation is light, at 5 inches per year. Snowfall averages 22 inches per year.
- Community Map Available
- Map URL
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- The area has traditionally been hunted and fished by Inupiat Eskimos. The name means "the place to dig the rock that burns." During World War II, bituminous coal was mined in Atqasuk and freighted to Barrow for use by government and private facilities. The village had a post office from 1951 to 1957 under the name Meade River. There were no people in Atqasuk in 1970, but the community was re-established around 1977, primarily by former residents of Barrow. The city was incorporated in 1982.
- It is a traditional Inupiat Eskimo village. Subsistence activities are important to the lifestyle.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Name of Federally Recognized Tribe
- Atqasuk Village
- Local Option Restrictions
- Ban sale, importation, and possession of alcohol.
- Incorporation Type
- 2nd Class City
- Public Education
- Not permitted to provide this service.
- Planning, Platting and Land Use Regulation
- Not required to exercise the powers in any circumstance, but may be permitted in all cases in the manner described for first class cities.
- Property Tax Powers
- May tax up to 20 mills, except where a higher levy is required to avoid default. Voter approval required.
- Sales Tax Powers
- No limit on the rate of levy of sales taxes; however, voter approval is required.
- Other Powers Not Prohibited
- May exercise other powers not prohibited by law.
- City Council or Assembly Composition and Apportionment
- 7 members elected at-large, except the council may provide for election other than at-large.
- Election and Term of Mayor
- Elected from the city council for a 1-year term, unless a longer term is provided by ordinance. Mayor selected by council (or by voters upon adoption of ordinance).
- Vote by Mayor
- Votes on all matters.
- Veto Power of the Mayor
- Does not have veto power.
- Power of Eminent Domain
- Permitted, but requires voter approval.
- Ability to Attain Home-Rule Status
- May not adopt home-rule charter without first reclassifying to a first-class city.
- Air travel provides the only year-round access, while land transportation provides seasonal access. The North Slope Borough owns and operates the Edward Burnell Sr. Memorial Airport, which has a gravel runway. 'Cat-trains' are sometimes used to transport freight overland from Barrow during winter months. Snow machines, ATVs, and boats are used for local transportation.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection