in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
History and Culture
- "Wooden Wheel" Johnson became the first resident in the early 1900s. His store, fuel dock, and fish-buying scow enabled trollers to stop for supplies and safe anchor on their trips north and south. In 1946, Laurel "Buckshot" Woolery opened the B.S. Trading Post and fish-buying station. In the 1950s, a warehouse was built with the plan to eventually create a shrimp cannery. The cannery idea was never realized, and the building now stands empty. Woolery closed his trading post in 1973. State land disposal programs have enabled the area to be permanently settled.
- Port Protection is a small non-Native fishing community. There are no roads, and most homes lie along the waterfront.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Local Option Restrictions
- Sale by specific type of license only.
- The community is accessible by float plane and boat. A state-owned seaplane base is available. Skiffs are used for local travel, and there is a boat harbor and launch ramp. Port Protection does not have direct access to the Prince of Wales road system, airport, or ferry service. Residents travel to Point Baker for mail. Freight arrives by chartered boat or floatplane.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection