in the Matanuska-Susitna Borough
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Pronunciation/Other Names
- formerly Sutton
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Sutton-Alpine is between miles 52 and 72 of the Glenn Highway, 11 miles northeast of Palmer in the Mat-Su Borough. The area is accessed by Chickaloon Way and Jonesville Road.
- The temperatures in January range from -35 to 37 °F and in July from 45 to 85 °F. Annual precipitation averages 16.5 inches, with 50 inches of snowfall.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Ahtna and Dena'ina Athabascan Indians have occupied this territory for centuries. During the Russian fur trading era, Ahtna transported pelts from the Dena'ina along the Matanuska River to Copper Fort in the east. Sutton was founded around 1918 as a station on the Matanuska branch of the Alaska Railroad for coal export purposes. The railroad went through Sutton to the Chickaloon Mine. The Sutton Coal Washery operated from 1920 to 1922. Sutton was the base camp for construction of the Glenn Highway from 1941 to 1945. The post office was established in 1948. Coal from the privately-owned Evan Jones, Jonesville, and Eska mines fueled the Sutton and Palmer economies until 1968, when the military bases in Anchorage converted their power systems to oil, and coal mining ceased. During the 1980s, several large tracts of land were subdivided, fueling growth.
- Middle and high school students are bused to Palmer.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Sutton-Alpine is connected to the Glenn Highway. There is a public gravel airstrip at the Jonesville Mine, owned by the Canadian Mine & Smeltering Company. Additional public transportation facilities are available in nearby Palmer.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection