2nd Class City
in the Prince of Wales-Hyder Census Area
- Area Type
- Current Population
- Population Comment
- 2013 Department of Labor Estimate
- Census Designated Place (CDP)
- Borough/Census Area FIPS Code
- Place FIPS
Election, Recording, and Judicial Districts
- Senate District
- House District
- Judicial District
- Recording District
Facilities and Amenities
Geography and Climate
- Edna Bay is located on the southeast coast of Kosciusko Island, northwest of Prince of Wales Island, in Southeast Alaska. It lies 90 miles northwest of Ketchikan.
- The area is dominated by a cool maritime climate. Average temperatures in the summer range from 46 to 70 °F; winter temperatures range from 32 to 42 °F.
- Community Map Available
- Sq Mi Land
- Sq Mi Water
History and Culture
- Edna Bay is a fishing community, originally named by the U.S. Coast & Geodetic Survey in 1904. Settlement was enabled by a state land disposal sale. A post office was established in 1943 but was transferred to Ketchikan in 1960. Edna Bay was incorporated as a 2nd Class City on October 2, 2014.
- Edna Bay is a community of fishing families.
- Federally Recognized Tribe
- Incorporation Type
- 2nd Class City
- Public Education
- Not permitted to provide this service.
- Planning, Platting and Land Use Regulation
- Not required to exercise the powers in any circumstance, but may be permitted in all cases in the manner described for first class cities.
- Property Tax Powers
- May tax up to 20 mills, except where a higher levy is required to avoid default. Voter approval required.
- Sales Tax Powers
- No limit on the rate of levy of sales taxes; however, voter approval is required.
- Other Powers Not Prohibited
- May exercise other powers not prohibited by law.
- City Council or Assembly Composition and Apportionment
- 7 members elected at-large, except the council may provide for election other than at-large.
- Election and Term of Mayor
- Elected from the city council for a 1-year term, unless a longer term is provided by ordinance. Mayor selected by council (or by voters upon adoption of ordinance).
- Vote by Mayor
- Votes on all matters.
- Veto Power of the Mayor
- Has no veto power.
- Power of Eminent Domain
- Permitted, but requires voter approval.
- Ability to Attain Home-Rule Status
- May not adopt home-rule charter without first reclassifying to a first-class city.
- Transportation and cargo are provided by float plane or boat from Craig, Ketchikan, or Petersburg. Edna Bay is not connected to the island's road system. A dock and harbor with breakwater are available.
- State Ferry
- Cargo Barge
- Road Connection